2 cups Water
1/4 cup Sugar
5 cups Hoisin Sauce 1/2 cup Gingerroot, small dice
1/2 cup Garlic, small dice
8 cups Purple Plum Juice (pitted, pureed, strained fresh plums)
1/4 cup Szechwan Chili Paste 1 1/2 T. Black Pepper
all ingredients together. Heat over medium high heat for 10 minutes.
four inch long Ginger Roots
3 Yellow Onions, halved, with skin on
on grill until blackened.
gallons Chicken Stock
4 Cinnamon sticks
1/4 cup Star Anise Powder
1 3/4 cups Nouc Mam (fish sauce)
1 1/2 cups Sugar
for 29 minutes. Strain.
and Sour Eggplant with Wonton Chip
Eggplants, small dice
Oil for frying
cup peeled Gingerroot, small dice
1/3 cup Garlic, small chop
4 T. Sesame oil
2/3 cup Soy Sauce
2/3 cup Sugar
1/3 cup Red Wine Vinegar
1. In large pot, bring vegetable oil to 365 degrees over medium to medium high heat. Pot should be 1/3 full with oil. Sauté eggplant in peanut oil until brown. Strain, saving the oil. Set aside to cool.
2. Sauté garlic and ginger in sesame oil until slightly caramelized. Add rest of ingredients. Stir well.
3. Mix with eggplant and let sit for at least 1 hour. Serve hot or cold.
4. Return remaining vegetable oil to the pot. Bring the oil back to 365 degrees. Place won ton skins, one at a time into the oil. Turn after 20 seconds and pull out of the oil when it begins to turn slightly brown. Dry on paper towel. Lightly salt.
5. Use won ton skins as a chip with the eggplant mixture.
Goi Con: Vietnamese style Rice Paper wrapped Springroll with Dungeness Crab, Smoked Chicken, and Tropical Nuoc Cham
- 3 ounces Rice Vermicelli
- 8 8" round dried Rice Paper
- 8 Bibb Lettuce Leaves
- 1/2 cup Bean Sprouts
- 1 cup Carrot- julienned
- 2 Mangoes- julienned
- Leaves from 1 bunch Mint
- Leaves from 1 bunch Cilantro
- 1 # Dungeness Crab
- 1 cup Smoked Chicken- julienned
- 11 Kitchen Towels
Bring water to a boil. Throw in noodles. Turn off heat. Let noodles sit for 3 minutes. Drain noodles. Rinse in cold water and drain again.
Dunk each rice paper round in warm water for a few seconds. Place paper between moist towels, alternating towel to paper. From the bottom, it should be a towel to a piece of paper, to a towel to a piece of paper, and so on.
Move fast. Take off top towel. On the top paper, place one piece of bibb lettuce in the middle. On top of the lettuce, add noodles, bean sprouts, carrots, mint, cilantro, and smoked chicken. Roll up the paper halfway into a cylinder. Fold both sides of the over the filling. Lay 2 prawn halves, cut side down, along the crease. Keep rolling the paper into a cylinder to seal. The rice paper will stick to itself and hold the shape. Store between damp towels.
Tropical Nuoc Chom
- 2 Red Chilies- sliced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 3 T Fish Sauce
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 1 T Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1 T Water
- 1 T Salt
- 5 Leaves Basil- julienne
Yellow Thai Curry Broth
1 Gallon Fish Stock
5 Cloves Garlic - crushed
3 Stalks Lemongrass - crushed
Coins Gingerroot - sliced
together in a large stockpot over medium heat for 1 hour. Strain
cup Nouc Mam (Fish Sauce)
3/4 cup Sugar
5 cans Coconut Milk
cup Lime Juice
5 oz. Yellow Thai Curry Paste
Curried Flat Bread with a Yogurt Riata Sauce
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 3/4 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
- 2 T Curry Powder
- 1/3 cup Green Onions, Chopped
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1/8 cup Butter
- 1/2 each Egg, whisked and divided
- 1/2 cup + 2 T Sour Cream
- 6 cups Frying Oil 365 degrees
Sift together all dry ingredients- flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, curry powder.
Mix green onions into flour mixture.
Melt butter in milk- cool.
Combine milk/butter mixture with sour cream and egg. Mix well with whisk.
Fold dry and wet ingredients together until fully incorporated. Kneed for one minute.
Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least one hour.
Remove from refrigerator. Divide into 2 ounce pieces. Form 2 ounce pieces into balls. On a well-floured cutting board, roll balls until they form 5-inch circles.
Bring oil up to temperature in a wok or saucepan. Place bread into oil one at a time. The bread should puff up. Cook for 45 seconds, then flip and cook the other side for 45 seconds or until bread is golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and serve.
- 1 each Cucumber- peeled, seeded, grated or diced
- 3 cups Plain Yogurt
- 1 tsp. Ground Cumin
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 each Red Onion- small dice
- 2 T Italian Flat Leaf Parsley- fine chop
- 1/4 cup Honey
- Pinch Black Pepper and Cayenne Pepper
can find us upstairs at 10118 Donner Pass Road in Truckee, California.
fx: (530) 587-0291
11:30 am - 2:30 pm,
Seven Days a Week
5:30 - Until Closed,
Seven Days a Week
5:00 - Until Closed,
Seven Days a Week